Friday, March 28, 2014

#shesharestruth-Jonah 3&4


Wow. It's been a very long time since I've touched this blog, but recently I've been itching to get back at it again. I'm so ready!

If you haven't heard of the website She Reads Truth (www.shereadstruth.com) I would encourage you to check it out. It's a website for women to get more of Jesus through Bible reading plans for daily study (#shereadstruth). I love it! For the season of Lent, they are doing something they call #shesharestruth. So I've decided to participate. Here we go!

I think we've all heard the story of Jonah. It's a story that even most non-Christians know something about. I love this story. But the story of Jonah goes on past the big fish. My favorite part is the repentance of Nineveh and God's grace. Jonah obeys God's call and travels to Nineveh where he calls the people to repentance. And you know what? They respond. That's right, they repent and believe, and God doesn't destroy their city! Of course Jonah is excited, right? Wrong. Jonah throws a childish temper tantrum and expects God to still destroy the city. He is blind to the irony that God saved his life when he was in the sea and the fish-and yet he expects that the grace he relieved freely should be withheld from Nineveh.

The repentance of Nineveh is beautiful...but it's not the point. Neither is Jonah's childish fit. The point is God and His grace. He doesn't just give second chances-He gives fiftieth, five hundredth, and five millionth chances-and many more. The hero isn't Jonah-it's God! 💗 If we leave the book of Jonah and fixate on the fish, the plant, Nineveh, or even Jonah, we miss the point. All Scripture-the Old and New Testaments-point to Christ, and Jonah is no exception! The point is to fixate on Jesus, our Savior and True Love! He has given us grace even when we ran away, even when we lived in disobedience, even when we threw spiritual temper tantrums. He is constant when we are not!

If we are faithless, He remains faithful-for He cannot deny Himself. (2 Timothy 2:13)

Cause I don't wanna tell some arrogant story
Or let myself believe I'm You,
I don't wanna be a thief who's stealing your glory
Would you help remind me of what is true-
The only hope I've got is You!
-Only Hope I've Got, Ellie Holcomb


http://shereadstruth.com/2014/03/28/shesharestruth-jonah-34/

2 comments:

  1. "The point is God and His grace." <--I LOVE THIS! And I love that Ellie Holcomb song, too!

    Thanks for sharing such beautiful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouraging words! I'm just trying to point back to Him!

      Delete